Friday, January 21, 2011

Passion

I invited a friend to come over yesterday for hot tea and conversation. It was so good to talk with them. I discovered that if we channel our passions "to do" something, than we start to touch the joy the Lord intended us to have. Plans are nice to have but when they start to hold you back from enjoying the Life God has given us, well then its time to scrap it. Now I am certainly not talking about quitting when a situation becomes difficult, yet instead I am saying live and enjoy life, live your passion.

When I returned from my first Missions Trip to Honduras in July 2007 I started to develop a plan for my life, one that I thought the Lord was leading me on. I wanted so badly to be a missionary, love the unloved and preach the gospel. So I went, I went to Haiti and preached the Gospel, and then I went to Africa the following summer to love the unloved.

Upon returning from Africa in August 2008 I was tossed into a whirl wind of chaos that made life confusing and difficult. My parents were getting an unexpected divorce, one of my closest friends was moving to Texas, and my Best Friend was telling me he wanted to marry me. I didn't know what to do, so I turned to God. When the dust settled and my mind was clear, with the blessing of God and our Pastor, my Best Friend Eric and I decided that we would pursue a relationship with the intention of Marriage. Time flew by, we were engaged in November 2008, married in April 2009 and had our first son Seth Nehemiah in February 2010. I thought I had landed it, the dream life; I had my husband and baby, what more could I ask for? And yet there was always something missing.

I struggled to figure out how to fill the void with "things" of this life, surprise it didn't work. Despite the longing I have inside to return to Africa I don't feel the release of the Lord to go. The plan I had was to "go" be a missionary, when the thought occurred, why do I need to "go" when there are so many right here that are in need too. So I've decided to channel the passion I have to go volunteer at Carriage Town in Flint starting in February. I am thrilled to get back out there, doing what I love to do and hopefully taking my son with me. God is good, he blesses what we set our hands to do. Hey you never know, these beginning steps could be the stepping stones I've been waiting for. Hope is yet stronger and the light of the Lord is shinning on us, Praise God!

2 comments:

  1. I think your work in Flint will be extremely fulfilling, every big adventure/mission starts with one small step. I know years ago when I led the 'little' choir at our church I knew it was the beginning of something that would steadily multiply if I just stayed faithful. Years later I look at what I am doing now and am amazed at how 'my territory' has been expanded. You go girl! I'm excited to hear how He works through you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Robin, I'm excited to see all that God is going to do as well!

    ReplyDelete